Tuesday, September 29, 2009

OSS, Samus Piece Sold, Stump 4.0, Ramblings and a Cookie!

Hey all... Let me start by thanking all the amazing folks that turned out for OSS part 3! It was another fantastic show, finished off by a legendary freestyle session that I'd like to see a video for. It was REALLY that good... In case you missed it don't fret my pet, the next one is on the 10th of October.

I sold my Samus piece (pictured below) to a gentleman from San Francisco, who happened to see it in the window at the IC gallery. It was one of my favorites, so I was sad to see it go, but I'm always glad to share my art with others who would appreciate it. So if you're reading this, thanks Rick! With all the excitement from OSS going on, I totally forgot that I wanted to get a picture with him, but in lieu of that, here's a photo of the painting.




Also, here's my latest update on Stump. Filled in more foliage, grass and background. Also did some minor detail work to the character in general. Like I said, this project was from a while ago, so the early stages were more about cleaning up the mistakes and refining the look, than making any drastic changes. Anyhoo... Enjoy! (Click to enlarge, of course!)



I'm going to warn you now, LARGE amounts of rambling are incoming.... if you make it to the end you get a cookie.


I've had the misfortune of attending two funerals within a span of a few weeks and amidst all the grieving and sadness, there's a newfound respect for life. I think every human, at one time or another contemplates his or her own mortality. These recent deaths have reinstated the dialogue I sometimes have with myself with a renewed sense of urgency. As I pile on project after project and goal after goal, I can't help but feel like this a drastic attempt to accomplish as much as possible in my infinitely small time on Earth. Not that I'm going through it, but maybe this is the true meaning behind midlife crisis... The struggle to leave a lasting legacy, something immortal, that will live on long after I'm gone. More marks made as proof of my existence.

As my horizons have grown, I've come to realize that the world is a huge immense place, with billions of people living their own lives, with their own beliefs, fears, hopes and dreams. Upon that realization, you realize how truly insignificant your part in this is. THAT was my realization that my life's affect on a large scale was impossibly small, and that more important was the the impressions I make on a smaller scale and the lives I could affect that were directly in contact with my own. This was a few years ago. And I think it's where most of us stand. We affect our own little worlds because that's as far as we can reach. It's kind of a microcosm of how we'd LIKE to affect the world. At least for those of us that think of it anyways.

I think, in some way, that by not being a spiritual person, I actually value life more than the pious. The religious folk I've had the pleasure of talking to, for the most part, believe in life after death. That there is a second life when they perish, which is what they are working towards. That is the life of true value for them. Their existence here is merely a means to that end, a test of their faith, to see that they gain access to whatever their religion promises. People such as myself, though, have it in their heads that this life is all that we get. When it's done, it's done, and that nothing will be left of us besides whatever memory we leave behind. When you realize that all you're given is all you'll get, I'd like to think that you value it more. Every second matters, not because its a chance to prove your faith, but because it's a chance to prove you EXIST in the first place.

I think this is why I try to do so much, and try to affect every person I meet. The term "validating your existence" is usually taken with a negative connotation in humor. I believe that in fact, it is our true goal. Once we realize that our time is temporary, we realize the need for the memory of our existence to be preserved. That, in turn, is why the arts are necessary. Why creative endeavors are so important. And why we should never balk at a fellow human being seeking to validate their existence.

It's the proof of our inner thoughts. It's the proof that we were unique. It's the proof we were here.

Here's your cookie:


No comments:

Post a Comment