Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Stump (Throwback)

Well since I haven't been able to get much work done lately here's a throwback (read: copout) I did a while back. According to the file, it looks like the last time I worked on this was March, so it's a little dated. But if you were to look into my Artwork files on my MacBook Pro, you'd see a lot of unfinished projects that are really near completion. Most of the time I get bored and the way my turnaround works, I'm usually in possession of a shiny new project before I have the chance to finish the ones I'm already working on. But I digress, here's "Stump"... done in Photoshop and re-rendered for the web (It was originally made for print). Enjoy! (as always, click the image for a larger size.) But please be quiet about it... He's sleeping....


The character has some history... but the short version is that he's a traveller who grows a huge tree on his back. The tree represents the burdens that we all carry as we travel through life. When he's young, the tree is small, but as he grows the tree grows with him and becomes heavier and heavier. Despite this, he still travels on and the tree both teaches the value of persevering now matter how heavy the weight is. If you look close, there's a little creature perched on his tree. The creature represents the malicious people in life that can weigh you down even more if they're not dealt with. There's a lot more backstory I built for this guy, but that will have to wait for another post I think.

He's seemingly more "heavy" than my usual characters. The truth is, though, I developed the backstory after I created the image, which in turn made the image even stronger in my mind. Either way, the drawing is still for the most part, unfinished. Maybe posting this will inspire me to finish it. Amongst all my shiny and newer projects... :P

No comments:

Post a Comment